The Central Library of Jorhat Kendriya Mahavidyalaya was established in the year 1981 with the very inception of the college itself to cater to the institutional, curricular, research and instructional requirements of the college community. At present the library is housed in an Assam type building named as Rajib Rajkhowa Memorial Building. A new library building equipped with all modern facilities is under construction now.
The library aims to create a healthy learning environment within the library in view of the five laws of library science.
1.Library Staff :
Successive Librarians- Name Period
Punyamayee Neog 1982-2010
Madhumita Handique 2013-
Dr. Madhumita Handique
M.A. ,MLISc., MPhil., PhD.
Ph. No.: 9957003905
Library Assistant - Mrs. Ami Dutta
Library Attendant - Mr. Dhruba Jyoti Sharma
2.Library Advisory Committee:
The present Library Advisory Committee is composed of the following members:
Dr. Munindra Konwar Principal cum Chairperson
Dr. Madhumita Handique Librarian cum Secretary
Mrs. Minoti Khound Member
Vice- Principal & Associate Professor
Deptt. Of Economics
Dr. Apurba Borah Member
Deptt of Assamese
Mrs.Gayatri Chutia Member
Deptt. Of Assamese
Mrs. Sandhya Devi Member
Professor, Deptt of Botany
Every year the Magazine Secretary of the College Students’ Unit becomes the member of the committee.
College Library & Library Rules.:
The College has a well furnished reading room for both students and teachers separately. The reading room is also equipped with 10 computers with Internet Connectivity on Open Access basis which facilitates students to expose new horizon of knowledge. The number of books in the library at present is about 11,689 Moreover, the number of subscribed Journals by the library is about 08. The students and teachers can avail the Library facility from 9 AM to 5 PM on all working days.
The college has a Digital Library facility. Students and teachers can access to upload the books and journals in the Digital Library Website from his/her home. For access to the Digital Library one may log in No. 192.168.1.100
Library Organizational Structure:
The Library provides open access to its users where each and every user can consult the resources physically in the library without any restriction. For smooth functioning, the library is organized into the following sections:
> Acquisition & processing section
> Circulation section
> Periodicals & newspaper section
> Reference section
> Electronic section
The available resources are also arranged according to the following categories so that the users can locate their resources easily-
> Text book collection
> Reference collection
> Special Collection (Theses/ Dissertations/ MRP of the Teachers)
> Periodical collection
> Career and Employment Related Collection
> North East Collection
> Women Related Collection
> Collection on renowned personality
Library Services and Facilities:
1. Document Circulation Service: The library remains open from 9am to 5 pm and the users can use and borrow books on all working days.
2. Reference service- Every library staff tries to provide reference service to the users in a personal way by guiding them in getting the required books without any hindrance. To develop reading habit of the students, the staff also encourages them to use reference sources along with text books.
3. Current Awareness Service- As a part of Current Awareness Service, the recent arrivals are displayed on the display stand. List of subscribed journals and photocopy of content pages of learned journals are also listed regularly in the information display board.
4. Information deployment and notification : The general information regarding library facilities are made available in the College Prospectus, Academic Calendar and the College Website. The current notifications are put up in the Library Notice Board and the College Notice Board.
5. Library automation- Library automation process is going on in the library by using the software SOUL 2.0. At present, the house keeping operations like cataloguing, circulation, bar coding and access to library catalogue through OPAC have been introduced.
6. Internet / Digital resources facility- The users can avail Internet access facility in the library. They can also access e-resources in the library through NList Consortia.
7. Reprographic and Printing Service- Xerox facility is available in the library at a nominal fee which is also a source of revenue of the library. The users can also take print out of downloaded documents.
8. User Orientation- A User Orientation and Awareness Programme is done every year for the new comers at the very beginning of the new academic session. The librarian and the other library staff also keep the users update of the various services, issues pertaining to the library from time to time.
9. Consultancy Service-The librarian always remain ready to provide consultancy service if and when required.
10. Book Bank Service : For the students under BPL, separate Book Bank Section is available.
11. Question Paper Service : The students can consult previous years question papers in the library.
12. Suggestion Box- The library staff feel happy to get feedback from the users. So regular feedbacks are taken from the students by issuing feedback forms. For other users, suggestion box is kept with the hope of getting valuable suggestions for future improvement.
13. INFLIBNET/IUC facilities
The college library is using SOUL 2.0 Software for automating the library. The college has recently registered its name in Inflibnet-NList Programme. The users of the library especially the faculty members are also taking the benefits of some other services provided by Inflibnet like Shodh Gangotri, Shodh Ganga etc.
Library Activities :
Since the year 2013 onwards the library has organized following programmes -
1.User Orientation Programme : For the proper utilization of the library, it is very important to make the students aware of the facilities that they can avail in their college library. So, a User Orientation and Awareness programme is done every year for the newcomers at the very beginning of the new academic session.
2. Librarian’s day : Every year Librarian’s Day is celebrated on 12th August in the
library with college family. From this year the library is planning to introduce two
awards for the students to cultivate reading habit among them which will be
distributed annually on Librarian’s day. These two are -
1.Best Reading Room User Award
2.Best Borrower Award
3. Book Fair and Book Talk : The Library has organized two book fairs in the year 2013 (19/10/2013) and 2015 (1/10/2015 to 3/10/2015) respectively.
A Popular Book Talk was also organized on the first day of the Book Fair, 2015 and Dr. Devabrata Sharma, Principal, Jorhat College and a renowned academician was invited as speaker.
4. Information Literacy Training Programme: A Training Programme on Information Literacy was organized on 9/01/2016 . Mr. Haresh Dutta, Senior Librarian, Jagannath Barooh College, Jorhat was the resource person of that programme.
Along with routine works, the library will give special attention on -
> Creation of Digital Repository
> Organize State/National/ International Workshops/ Conference/ Seminar
> More Extension Works.
Students need to furnish their fee receipt and the College Identity Card to obtaine the library card. The library offers yearly membership, which is renewed subject to annual clearance. The library card is nontransferable